Last week I asked for y’all to help Ryan and me plan our weekend getaway to NYC- I am so appreciative of all the recommendations and suggestions we received! We wish we had more than 1 night so we could do, see, and dine at all of them!
I thought it would be fun do a Five Things Friday edition focused around our plans for the weekend…
1. Travel. After much debate and weighing the pros and cons of both plane and train, we decided to take the train! When I was younger and my family went to NYC we always went via train- it’s almost equal in time as taking a plane [considering the security lines, check-in, and baggage claim], it’s fun to see the passing scenery, and the seats are more spacious. This will be Ryan’s first time riding a train so he’s excited!
2. Accommodations. Having only been to NYC a few times, I had no idea where to stay. Closer toto escape all the city life? Directly in Times Square near all the hustle and bustle? Save a few bucks and stay somewhere on the outskirts? Or splurge a little more since it’s only for 1 night? I looked into a few recommendations but unfortunately they were either booked or only had their ooober expensive rooms still available [understandable since it’s Valentine’s Day weekend]. Ryan and I both thought it would be more fun to stay closer to Midtown and near all the sites and restaurants so we decided to stay at the Hilton New York.
From their website:
“Discover an extraordinary New York Hilton hotel and see New York from a fresh new perspective. Hilton New York offers modern hotel accommodations and just steps from top NY attractions. Find a quiet respite from the city that never sleeps in our New York Hotel Rooms that are spacious and modern. Step outside our exquisite Midtown New York, NY hotel and find yourself within blocks of Central Park, Times Square, the Theatre district, 5th Avenue shopping, MOMA and so much more. Make sure your next meeting or conference stands out from the rest with the help of our expert event managers and customized meeting packages. Boasting 151,000 square feet of meeting space, our impressive Manhattan hotel caters to every event with focused individualized attention.”
3. Dining. Ryan said he wanted to treat me to a fancier than usual dinner on Saturday night. We were indifferent about what type of cuisine we wanted so we opted to ask our friends for recommendations. We considered an Italian restaurant in the Theater District [a romantic atmosphere and a traditional Italian menu], a southwestern restaurant in the Flatiron District [a fun atmosphere and an intriguing menu], and a steakhouse in Midtown [a traditional dark wood atmosphere and meat-focused menu]… We ultimately made reservations at.
From their website:
“Long time waiters of Peter Luger’s Steakhouse, Ben and Jack Sinanaj have taken the steakhouse experience one step further at Ben and Jack’s Steakhouse in midtown Manhattan. Offering prime dry aged porterhouse steaks is not the only thing these guys do to perfection, from exquisite desserts to fresh seafood to mouthwatering side dishes, Ben and Jack invite you to stop in and enjoy an unforgettable steakhouse experience like no other.
Ben and Jack’s offers an extensive and diverse wine list as well to accommodate your dinner. We also have many private dining rooms that can accommodate your next function of as little as six people, to as many as two hundred. The frosted, etched glass private rooms ensures privacy and bestows the feeling of being the only ones in the restaurant.”
4. Attractions. Since we’ll only have one day in the city [arriving at 9AM on Saturday and leaving at 11AM Sunday], I didn’t want to commit to too many things and think that it’ll be more fun for us to do whatever sounds appealing in the moment. The few set-in-stone plans we do have include:
-A walk throughout Central Park
-Meet up with one of my girlfriends from home Heather [she has written a couple of guest posts!] to take our engagement pictures!
-Tour the 9/11 Memorial
5. Charlie. My attempts to convince Ryan to bring Charlie with us were unsuccessful. I agree that it will be more relaxing [and romantic] just the two of us but I’m nervous to leave my baby boy in the care of someone else. Earlier in the week we checked out the PetSmart PetsHotel and were impressed. The facilities were clean, the other dogs looked happy, the staff was accommodating and friendly, and the overall experience sounds like a vacation… We made Charlie a reservation to stay there for two nights, as well as a grooming session, and will plan to pick him up when we get home on Sunday.
Daily Memorable Moments
February 9: Attending a county-wide meeting and receiving an email from my department chair that the substitute teacher assigned to cover my class did not show up. My mind began to race and my heart sunk.
February 10: Dropping Charlie off at the PetsHotel. I am predicting that I am going to be one of “those” [overprotective] momma’s when I have children…