It’s already the last week of September, where did the time go?! I guess between spending 10-12 hours every Monday through Friday at school planning, teaching, and prepping… Spending the weekends catching up with my family and friends… And celebrating my birthday month, the time has just slipped right through my fingers!
I can’t complain, the past month has been great! The parents keep saying that the students are eager to come to school, my coworkers are helpful, and I am finally starting to feel like things are settling down and we all are getting into the groove of things *phew*! Not to say that things won’t be busy in the coming months, I just feel better prepared and confident that I can handle whatever may come my way 🙂
As I’ve said before, I really enjoy reading Oprah’s daily newsletters! One of the articles featured today focuses on 15 small changes that can help you live a happier and healthier life, “Small Changes, Big Results.” Check out the article for more details about each “small change”…
- Eat an apple… I do this almost every day- fuji, golden delicious, and pink lady’s are my favorites!
- Brush your teeth with your other hand… I’m not so sure about this- I fear that all of the toothpaste would wind up on my face instead of in my mouth 😛
- Drink filtered coffee… FYI: non-filtered coffees are usually made on an espresso machine or using a french press. I’m not a coffee snob- I def don’t buy the most expensive stuff [I admit, I usually buy the least expensive brand from TJ’s or whatever brand is on sale at the grocery store], nor do I have a fancy coffee machine- so I think I’m safe, right?!
- Power up your walk… I love cranking up the incline to the max whenever I’m on the treadmill- I may look like a crazy person [ while I’m holding onto the screen so I don’t fly off], but the workout burn is worth it!
- Have a few walnuts… Meh, I’m not too “nutty” about walnuts [or pecans]
- Pick your beat… I def think that listening to some good tunes during a workout helps to motivate me- the faster the music, the faster my legs and arms are pumping!
- Time major decisions… Ha, does moving in with your fiance and starting to plan your wedding count as major decisions?! I sure do think so… And I think my timing is just right 😀
- When you learn something say it out loud… I never was one of those students who could remember everything that I read or heard so I would write it down- along the same lines of saying it out loud [aka repetition is key]…
- Wake up with a plan… I am a very optimistic person so I rarely wake up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning- every day is a new day. My biggest pitfall is waking up from a nap, I get very crabby :Z
- Practice the phrase “I forgive you”… We all have bad days and have sometimes we need to have a “lemon squeeze” [aka let out all of the sour, nasty stuff inside of us] and unfortunately, sometimes those “squeezes” get directed inappropriately towards other people…
- Chew gum… If I’m not eating, I’ll 99% of the time be chewing gum… I carry at least two packs [minty and fruity] of gum with me at all times and I’ve had up to five- embarrassed? Nope! I never know what flavor I’ll be in the mood for!
- Purge toxic possessions… The past week I’ve been cleaning and packing in anticipation to move in with my Dear this weekend. I was so surprised that I filled over seven bags of things [clothes, shoes, accessories, handbags, jackets, etc.]- I don’t think any of it was “toxic,” but it definitely was cluttering up my life!
- Stand on the balls of your feet… I don’t really think about how I stand [on the balls or on the heel], maybe I should start paying more attention to it?! P.S. Sometimes I randomly will walk on my tippy-toes just for the fun of it 😛
- Add umami to your diet… Umami- what the heck is that?! Umami is the fifth taste and is defined as “a savory, meaty flavor derived from the amino acid glutamate.” Examples are meat, fish, cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes… I incorporate a lot of those things into my diet so I guess my umami fix is filled!
- Take 10 minutes for daydreaming… My daydreaming takes place at the gym 🙂
Question: Do you do any of these small things?
Question: What small thing do you do to live a happier and healthier life?